The Junior Art Director / Art Director is responsible for assisting the Art Department with the visual design, development and execution of the campaign; and for maintaining brand excellence and integrity. He/she creates designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Assist the Art Department with the development, design and execution of all Agency offerings, in particular the Senior Art Director and Art Supervisor.
- Be able to use computer software to generate new images.
- Understand the creative process and be able to follow jobs from the beginning stages of production.
- Establish credibility with Clients by developing knowledge of Client’s business and brand.
- Keep abreast of current advertising, design, and other visual communications. Continuously explore cutting-edge, current, and unique design styles and imagery.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in various forms of media including a working knowledge of the print production process.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in various forms of media.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic marketing principles.
- Keep supervisor briefed on creative projects.
- Create designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout principles, brand guidelines, corporate guidelines (if applicable), and aesthetic design concepts.
- Review final layouts and suggest improvements as needed.
- Prepare illustrations or rough sketches of material, discussing them with supervisors and making necessary changes.
- Assist in ensuring that Agency work is on strategy and contributes to growing the Client’s business.
- Clearly communicate rationale for design choices and conceptual ideas.
- Assist in ensuring that all final products released demonstrate only the highest quality creative and effectively communicates brand messages to targeted customers.
- Demonstrate ability to “zoom in and out” (big picture thinking as well as attention to details) as necessary.
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate with Client/Agency Creative/Account teams.
- Help create a collaborative work environment between all departments and demonstrate ability to handle conflicts in a positive, professional and productive manner.
- Maintain positive relationships with and utilize the internal business group departments (electronic studio, editorial, traffic, imaging and production) appropriately.
- Communicate effectively and professionally both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate good problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Remain calm despite high pressure situations.
- Project a professional attitude and foster a positive team atmosphere demonstrating respect for peers and supervisors and establish credibility both internally and externally.
- Assist other members of department/team as needed when workload allows.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- College degree.
- Proficiency with Macintosh and the following programs - Adobe InDesign, Adobe PhotoShop CS4 or CS5, Adobe Illustrator CS2, & Adobe Acrobat.
- Digital Experience, web design, or programming experience preferred.
- Advertising or design portfolio.