VP, Director of Digital Art, User Experience & Innovation
The VP, Director of Digital Art & User Experience is responsible for managing, creating and driving digital design and user experiences across websites, mobile, and interactive platforms for the entire agency. The VP, Director of Digital Art & User Experience mentors those in which he/she supervises by meeting with them consistently to better understand their career goals and helping to champion their causes when appropriate. In addition, the VP, Director of Digital Art & User Experience acts an advocate for Biolumina. He/she helps to identify and recruit new talent as well as provides leadership and guidance within their department.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Lead the creation of user experiences (UX) across the agency, from kickoff to deployment, strategically and technically.
- Foster heavy partnership with copywriters, digital strategy and development during the creation of all digital projects, including responsive websites, HTML5 banners and Veeva-driven apps and emails.
- Create information architecture documentation (sitemaps, wireframes, functional specs) that helps guide all disciplines in the development and deployment of content, visuals, animations and code
- Act as a "digital go-to” for the entire agency, as well as for clients, helping conceive and develop ideas that are strategic, innovative and focused solely on the user
- Help lead and drive digital and innovative ideation during tactical/strategic planning and new business pitches.
- Be an expert in designing clean, intuitive interfaces, leveraging current UX best practices and digital design processes.
- Educate internal and client teas on the implementation of best practices in user-centric design based on a detailed understanding of users needs and behaviors
- Be a solutions-focused expert in the latest digital design software, strategies, trends, innovations and design thinking, and be able to share that to the entire agency through presentations and classes.
- Has an understanding of code technologies and how that impacts what can and can not be done in design, as well as how those potential technical impactions alter the way users experience digital content.
- Partner with other designers, as well as with account, project management and technical teams, to solve complex design challenges and develop innovative and intuitive user experiences.
- Work with account and project management to properly scope out digital projects.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities as evident by ability to motivate team, facilitate great thinking, and keep the morale high.
- Proactively seek opportunities for improvements in the department and offer executable solutions.
- Keep Creative Director(s) and UX team briefed on projects in a timely manner.
- Establish credibility with Clients at all levels by developing knowledge of Clients’ business, both the brand itself and people involved (i.e. internal client structure, individual responsibilities, and interaction between groups/individuals with respect to their impact on client jobs).
- Keep abreast of current advertising, digital design, ux, innovation, and technology trends.
- Demonstrate the ability to transition in between digital art and user experience seamlessly.
- Contribute to new business efforts both creatively and strategically.
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate with Client/Agency Creative/Account teams.
- Help create a collaborative work environment between all departments and demonstrate ability to handle conflicts in a positive, professional and productive manner.
- Work with account service from beginning of project until the end to make sure all projects meet budgetary guidelines.
- Maintain positive relationships with and utilize the internal business group departments (electronic studio, editorial, traffic, imaging and production) appropriately.
- Communicate effectively and professionally both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate good problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Remain calm despite high-pressure situations.
- Project a professional attitude and foster a positive team atmosphere demonstrating respect for peers and supervisors, and establish credibility both internally and externally.
- Assist other members of department/team as needed when workload allows.
- Monitor overall workload to affect efficiency and assure that waiting or downtime is minimized.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage time and prioritize all jobs effectively, as well as oversee junior members of the art brand team by monitoring projects, delegating assignments and approving work.
- Help supervisor manage and resolve staff issues including performance, personal presentation and internal interactions.
- Recommend adjustments/additions to the roles and procedures of the department to achieve continuous improvement and efficiency across all accounts and/or specific accounts.
- Help interview, train and orient new team members to the agency, department, and account(s) at the direction of supervisor.
- Mentors reports by providing constructive, ongoing feedback to them as well as completing annual performance reviews.
- Provide ongoing guidance to all team members and be available to them as a resource for account/agency/departmental policies, procedures, etc.
- Keep supervisor or department head appraised of any workload challenges/concerns on assigned team accounts that may necessitate hiring freelancers or moving talent around to better utilize their time.
- Oversee team’s time off schedules, time reporting, etc. to ensure appropriate coverage at all times for accounts. Maintain accurate time sheets for self and team. Monitor, review and approve direct reports’ time sheets in terms of hours worked on specific jobs.
- Acts as an advocate of Biolumina; makes decisions with the Agency’s and employees’ best interest in mind.
- Embodies the three core values: open mind, brave heart and ready hands.
- Provides leadership within his/her department as well as across the Agency.
- Proactively provides suggestions that impact Agency policy and operations.
- Demonstrates support of the Agency’s goals and mission.
- Presents a professional and positive image of Biolumina both internally and externally.
- Motivates direct reports, and acts as a mentor to all within Agency.
- Identifies, recruits, trains and develops talent.
- College degree.
- 7+ years pharma advertising experience.
- 2-3 years of supervisory experience.
- Proficiency with Macintosh OS and the following programs - Adobe CC (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and Omnigraffle (preferred IA software, open to others).
- Digital design and user experience portfolio.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills.